Pioneers Memorial Hospital is a highly recognized 107-bed acute care facility accredited by DNV*, committed to providing state-of-the-art healthcare, and complemented by the highest quality of community education. DNV, which stands for Det Norske Veritas – the Nordic Truth, is a hospital accreditation organization approved by the U. S. Center for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and has some of the most strenuous standards in healthcare.
In the 1940s, leaders with a vision realized the need for expanded health service for the northern part of Imperial County. Through their foresight and devotion to this worthy cause, the district was created.
Pioneers Memorial Healthcare District is a public entity formed under California law, specifically a local health care district formed under California Health & Safety Code §§32000 et seq.
Located in Imperial Valley in the southeastern part of California, Pioneers is the culmination of the dreams of many people who were involved in the planning and development of this hospital which opened its doors in 1950. Since then, many changes have been made. Pioneers is very advanced technologically for a hospital of its size.
Pioneers Memorial Healthcare District was formed under the governance of a board of directors that was appointed by the Imperial County Board of Supervisors. Subsequent boards have been elected by the residents of the district. The construction of the hospital was begun, and that original building remains today as the core of the present facility. The doors to the hospital were opened with eighty-eight beds on October 24, 1950, with Louis Peelyn as the first hospital administrator/CEO. The first board members were E.J. “Jack” Fabbri, William M. Corn, Elmer Sears, T.B. Shank, and Clarence R. Walker.
In 1992, the board started a master-planning process that would serve to meet the district’s healthcare needs for the early decades of the twenty-first century. This resulted in renovation and growth that continues today. In October 1986, an eight-bed intensive care unit was dedicated. The $1.4-million facility was supported with fund-raising that surpassed $470,000 by the newly formed PMH Foundation. Then–PMH Foundation President Bill Gates stated, “Clearly, we have accomplished a great deal, but there is still a lot to do. It’s just a matter of determining where the foundation can do the most good for the hospital.” That spirit and willingness to give is still alive today.
In 1993, voters in the district approved a $24-million general obligation bond to fund renovation for the existing hospital facility, an extension of the east wing to create a new emergency and urgent care area, and construction of a free-standing women’s center and outpatient surgery center. The emergency room wing opened in May 1998. On September 23, 1998, dedication ceremonies for the women’s center and outpatient surgery center honored Phyllis Dillard, who served on the board of directors for thirty-four years. The Women’s Auxiliary donated $153,000 to completely furnish five of the ten labor/delivery/recovery/postpartum rooms in the Women’s Center, including all of the medical equipment as well as the furniture. Originally called the Phyllis Dillard Women’s Center, the name was later changed to Phyllis Dillard Family Medical Center to more accurately convey the scope of services provided.
CREDENTIALS & ACCREDITATION
MEMBERSHIPS AND ACCREDITATION
Approvals, accreditation, and memberships listed as applicable to the District facilities
- Accredited by the Det Norske Vertias, a hospital accreditation organization approved by the U. S. Center for Medicate and Medicaid (CMS) and has some of the most strenuous standard in healthcare.
- California Department of Public Health
- Medicare certification by the U.S. DEPARTMENT OF Health and Human Services.
- Laboratory Accredited by The Joint Commission and CLIA licensed.
- Ultrasound Department Accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL).
- Mammography Accredited by American College of Radiology (ACR).
- Nuclear Medicine licensed for radioactive materials by California State DHS.
- Pharmacy Licensed by California State Board of Pharmacy.